Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Well, It's Done ...

I am sitting here crushed.

After two bouts of repairs, my powerchair was working with minimal effectiveness. I was able to get around but had to be careful. One or other of the wheels would lose power, and I would veer from one direction to the other. I managed but it was a fairly stressful ride. We had planned on having it into the shop once we were away so it could be fixed at their leisure.

After work today we were planning a kind of fun trip out and I hopped in the chair, turned it on, and realised that I was sitting on this cold, dead, thing. Yikes.

So.

They are picking it up tomorrow.

I am without chair.

On top of that, my manual chair has lost a footrest and we've been trying to get a replacement one. So, I can't really get around far on that one either.

I am virtually housebound.

I can still get to work and back but that's about it. However, I'm trying to be plucky, I'm disabled - it comes with the territory. So in full pluckyness I think to myself, 'Well, got to be glad it broke down here and not out in the cold.' I am also trying to be inspirational - it's what the world demands. So in full inspirational mode I am still getting on with my life.

But ... really ... SHIT.

SHITSHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT

There, now I feel marginally better.

13 comments:

Katja said...

In my RSS reader, your post (and I'm so sorry to hear about both chairs) was immediately followed by this: The Five Stages of Busted Wheelchair Grief. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I hope they get both chairs resolved soon. If they can't fix Henry, can you get a new one?

I was without any chair for a week, when I was a little more mobile than I am now, but I was still pretty much confined to bedroom and bathroom. You have my sympathies.

Thanks for the like Katja, I loved it.

Sharon

Tamara said...

dang. I was hoping to hear good Henry news, not this.

Anonymous said...

The rain to the wind said,
'You push and I'll pelt.'
They so smote the garden bed
That the flowers actually knelt,
And lay lodged--though not dead.
I know how the flowers felt.
poem:
Lodged by Robert Frost

I so hope Henry will work again soon!

Julia

Shan said...

Oh no!! [biting nails]

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry to hear this, was without my power chair for 2 weeks when it was getting fixed and it was awful! hope its all resolved soon!

Rachel said...


Why is there no Hallmark card line for "So sorry to hear about your wheelchair issues"?

Full sympathies and empathy from us -- my son has been without his power chair since Oct. when a big puberty growth spurt left us without footplates or a seating system that fits him. It's a double catastrophe for him because his voice output device has to be charged on his power chair and fits into the tray of his chair. Disability is one thing, and we can deal with that, but being sidelined by broken equipment -- now that just sucks.

Liz Miller said...

(((Dave)))

Wishing for a speedy recovery for Henry.

CapriUni said...

I'll see your "Shit!" and raise you a Damn!

Visualizing you rolling around the world (not just your head), under FULL POWER soon -- if not in Henry, than in a new chair.

Cynthia F. said...

Oh Henry, get well soon, Dave needs you!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is, been there and it's this extra-special kind of helplessness.

Because you could be moving right along, living your life.

But you're not. And you don't know when you will be. And the very technology that makes our lives possible has savagely reversed to enforce the limits.

NOT FAIR!

However, you may have use of the Zooborns site
to support the emission of a few smiles.

jwg said...

Around here some of the medical supply places have rental chairs and scooters. Might be worth looking into.

wendy said...

That just sucks, Dave! Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Will they at least put a rush on the repairs so you can get back to normal sooner rather than later?